MIDDLEVILLE, Mich. (WOOD) — A Barry County house burned to the ground Wednesday afternoon after sparking a day earlier and rekindling numerous times.
The fire started around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday near Yankee Springs Road and Shaw Lake Road south of Middleville. The family inside escaped the home safely.
Four fire departments responded to the scene and had to get water from four miles away. Crews dumped about 20,000 gallons of water on the flames Tuesday afternoon, and about 12,000 gallons in the evening.
Firefighters said they could not fight the blaze because of the weather conditions and safety concerns.
The fire rekindled around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday and then again around 9:55 a.m. Wednesday.
Firefighters arrived again and doused the flames as the structure eventually burned to the ground.
A fire in the chimney is likely the cause.