MASON, Mich. (AP) — Three women sit in the Ingham County jail awaiting sentencing next month for trespassing and obstructing police at the site of an Enbridge Inc. oil pipeline project.
The three were among about 40 people who protested July 22, 2013, at an Enbridge construction site in Stockbridge Township. The women attached themselves to excavators, according to the Lansing State Journal.
An Ingham County Circuit Court jury deliberated about nine hours over two days before finding them guilty Friday.
Ingham County Circuit Judge William Collette revoked the bonds of Lisa Leggio, 35, of Holland; Barbara Carter, 22, of Detroit; and Vicci Hamlin, 40, of Michigan City, Ind. He scheduled their sentencing for March 5. The charges carry a maximum penalty of two years in prison.
The fourth defendant, William Lawrence of East Lansing, pleaded guilty to the obstruction charge last week and was not on trial.
Calgary, Alberta-based Enbridge is replacing a 285-mile pipeline between Sarnia, Ontario, and Griffith, Ind., that ruptured in 2010, dumping about 800,000 gallons of crude oil into the Kalamazoo River system.
“I’m disappointed,” said Legghio’s attorney, Joshua Covert, told the newspaper. “I thought we were able to demonstrate there was reasonable doubt that a lawful command was given. I think there was some doubt. But, apparently, they didn’t feel it was reasonable doubt.”
Covert said he expected to appeal.
Information from: Lansing State Journal