Woman dies in mobile home fire

ORANGEVILLE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A woman died when a fire sparked inside her mobile home in Barry County early Thursday morning.

The victim has been identified as Wanda Cooper, who lived in the 4500 block of Circle Inn Drive in Orangeville Township, on the south side of Gun Lake.

Dispatchers received a 911 call around 2 a.m. but nothing could be heard on the other end of the line. So police are not sure if the victim called or if it was an automated call initiated because of damage to the phone line.

A deputy first arrived at the scene and saw the home engulfed in flames.

Firefighters from three departments arrived but could not enter the residence due to the intensity of the fire.

Some residents told 24 Hour News 8 they awoke to the fire’s bright glow.

After crews were able to contain the flames, the 81-year-old victim’s body was found inside the home.

Cooper lived alone, authorities told 24 Hour News 8 at the scene. Her relatives later arrived at the scene after someone connected to the family heard the fire on police scanners.

It is not known how the fire started. The flames spread and damaged the exterior of a neighbor’s house.

A Michigan State Police fire marshal will assist with the investigation.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus