Fatal fire linked to space heater

Emergency crews at a house fire in the 4000 block of Circle Inn Drive in Orangeville Township. (Feb. 13, 2014)

ORANGEVILLE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) – A fire that raced through a Barry County home, killing the 81-year-old resident, has been linked to a space heater.

A state fire marshal investigator told 24 Hour News 8 the space heater was located in the laundry room in the back portion of the home and being used to thaw frozen pipes.

The fire killed 81 year-old Wanda Cooper.

The investigator said damage was so extensive that it is unclear how the heater actually caused the blaze.

Most often when a heater is involved, it’s because the unit was too close to combustible material, or had overloaded an electrical circuit.

A Barry County sheriff’s deputy discovered the blaze at 4577 Circle Inn Dr., south of Gun Lake in Orangeville Township after checking out a disconnected 911 call.

The home was engulfed in flames when the deputy arrived.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s