GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) February weather is perfect for some piping hot soup. The only thing that would make it better is if it was for a good cause!
Soup’s On is a well-known event in Grand Rapids that raises money for God’s Kitchen. Now there’s a second event, Soup’s On Along the Lakeshore! This fundraiser benefits God’s Kitchen in Muskegon, which provides services for the homeless and the hungry in that area of West Michigan.
Some of the best restaurants participate in Soup’s On Along the Lakeshore, including the Hearthstone Bistro of Muskegon. Chef Josh prepares some Austrian Cream Cheese soup in studio. Check out the recipe and come out for Soup’s On Along the Lakeshore on Thursday, February 27 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Fricano Place on Western Avenue in Muskegon. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased online.
Austrian Cream Cheese Soup
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- 1 ½ cup thinly sliced leeks (white parts only)
- 2 to 3 large shallots, minced
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 2/3 cup flour (approximately)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 16 oz. cream cheese, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- Garlic powder to taste
- White pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: frizzled leeks
- Optional ingredients: after soup is blended, add ½ cup-1 cup diced ham or blistered diced tomatoes.
- Saute celery, leeks & shallots in oil until very soft (approximately 15 minutes).
- Add chicken stock & return to boil.
- In separate sauté pan, melt butter and whisk flour in to make a smooth paste. Cook together approximately 5 minutes until mixture turns golden nutty color. Set aside.
- To chicken stock mixture, add heavy cream & return to boiling point. Add cream cheese (reducing heat slightly) & stir constantly until cream cheese is melted.
- While stirring, constantly drop approximately half of flour/butter mixture into soup. Continue stirring and check for thickness. If thicker soup is desired, add remaining flour/butter mixture.
- With an immersion blender, blend all ingredients together until smooth.