COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. (WOOD) – The fifth annual fan voting contest to determine Fifth Third Ballpark’s next new menu item starts Tuesday.
The list has been narrowed down to 10 from more than 200 ideas submitted by fans.
Many of the submissions, including one Top 10 finalist, offered a tongue-in-cheek nod to the January fire at the ballpark, following a “charred” and “burning” theme, according to a news release.
Fans are invited to go to the Whitecaps’ website and vote for their favorite item. Voting concludes March 7, and the winner will be announced later in March and put on the ballpark’s menu this season.
Below is a complete list of the 10 food contest finalists:
- Apollo Pockets — Feisty Feta cheese spread stuffed into a full sized pita and deep fried (of course)
- Auger Dogger — A hot dog on a stick encircled with crispy fried spiral potato chips
- Burnin’ Bacon Dog — All-beef hot dog wrapped in a slice of thick bacon and topped with Sriracha sauce and jalapenos placed on a deli bun
- Chaco Baco — Bacon taco shell coated in chocolate and filled with vanilla ice cream, topped with sprinkles
- Mamma Mia! — Lasagna noodles with ricotta cheese, battered in funnel cake batter, fried until brown, and served with marinara sauce
- North of the Border Burger — A Cattleman’s burger, French fries, cheese curds, and gravy all on a burger bun
- Poor Richard — All-beef hot dog topped with mashed potatoes and gravy
- Pop-Tart BLT — Two brown sugar pop tarts, bacon, lettuce, tomato slice
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Sundae — Massive drifting dunes of Sea Salt Carmel ice cream with sleepy Teddy Graham topping, served in a full sized batting helmet
- Waffle Pizza — Pizza dough, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese mixed together and cooked into the shape of a waffle. Served with marinara sauce for dipping
Previous winners of the contest:
2013: The Bäco (a taco in a bacon shell)
2012: The Westside Po’ Boy (a large sandwich)
2011: Chicks with Sticks (celery, carrots and hummus)
2010: Cudighi Yooper Sandwich and the Declaration of Indigestion (two huge sandwiches) tied
The Whitecaps’ home opener is April 8 against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers at 6:35 p.m.
For ticket information –
Call the Whitecaps’ front office at 616.784.4131
In person at the temporary administrative offices at 5716 W. River Drive NE in Belmont, at the White Pine Trail overpass (open Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.)