Fire damages U-M sorority house; dozens displaced

"The Hangover" photo courtesy Warner Bros.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a fire broke out at a sorority near the University of Michigan campus, displacing 66 students.

The Ann Arbor News and WWJ-AM say there are no reported injuries from the fire, which broke out about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Alpha Gamma Delta house.

The fire department says the fire was reported in a room on the third floor of the house. WDIV-TV says the house has smoke damage throughout.

Jill Harter is a spokeswoman for the sorority’s national organization and says the fire is considered accidental. She says she’s thankful that all the students are safe and accounted for.

Harter says the sorority is determining where the students will stay as damage is assessed. The Red Cross has offered to help.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus