HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A Holland Township restaurant has reopened nearly a week after it was shut down due to concerns of a norovirus outbreak.
The Ottawa County Department of Public Health said in a Monday release that approximately 300 people who dined at Wild Chef Japanese Steakhouse Grill & Bar became ill. Monday afternoon, lab results that confirmed people had contracted norovirus.
According to the release, the restaurant met all the requirements needed to reopen Monday, including disinfecting all equipment and surfaces, as well as providing proper training on food safety practices like hand-washing, glove use and reporting illnesses.
The restaurant also got rid of any prepared foods, created new written policies for staff, and all employees passed testing on food safety, the health department said.
Last Tuesday, Wild Chef voluntarily closed its doors after the health department received multiple illness reports from people who had dined at the restaurant.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, norovirus can cause stomach pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. It can be contracted by consuming contaminated food or water, by touching contaminated surfaces, or from an infected person and is easily spread.