Health Dept.: Common bacteria in Bonicki’s illnesses

Bonicki's in Muskegon Tonwship. (April 9, 2014)

MUSKEGON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — The Muskegon County Department of Public Health says preliminary testing appears to have determined the cause of several illnesses in patrons of a Muskegon Township restaurant.

Seven people became sick after eating at Bonicki’s Restaurant and Sports Bistro, located at 1891 E. Apple Ave.

Friday, the health department said testing from the Michigan Department of Community Health showed the illness was caused by common foodborne bacteria Clostridium Perfringens.

The bacteria can be found in soils, sediment, and the intestines of animals and people, the health department said in a Friday release. It causes illness when foods are stored improperly or at the incorrect temperatures.

Health inspection reports from the last year and a half show Bonicki’s has had some problems with improper food storage and cleanliness.

The Centers for Disease Control say Clostridium Perfringens is “one of the most common causes of foodborne illness” in the US and that it causes about 1 million cases of illnesses each year.



The FDA on Clostridium Perfringens

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s