GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) – Victims in the Chad Curtis sexual assault case have filed a $4 million lawsuit against Curtis, the Lakewood Public School District and the Lakewood Board of Education.
The lawsuit was filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids. It accuses Curtis, a former Major League Baseball player, of several counts of battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
The lawsuit claims that the school gave Curtis complete access to teen female athletes, allowing him to regularly remove them from class and take them to a locked training room with no windows.
Curtis is currently serving a 7-to-15-year prison sentence after he was found guilty on six counts of criminal sexual misconduct and sexual assault.
The crimes occurred while Curtis was working as a substitute teacher and volunteering in Lakewood High School’s weight room. The victims, who were 15 and 16 at the time the assaults occurred, said Curtis touched them inappropriately during massages in the weight room.
Earlier in April, Curtis spoke to a reporter with SportsonEarth.com about his case. In the article, Curtis said he believes his victims will one day recant their claims.
During the interview, Curtis also mentioned he is still upset he was not given the chance to take the stand at his trial.