Woman, 100, suffocates at assisted-living facility

Sunset Manor 041514

JENISON, Mich. (WOOD) – The state is investigating after a 100-year-old woman accidentally died at a licensed assisted-living facility in Jenison.

Sarah Bredeweg, a resident at Sunset Manor Retirement Communities and Services, was found Sunday morning having suffocated after she got caught between the bedrail and mattress of her bed, Ottawa County Sheriff’s Cpt. Mark Bennett told 24 Hour News 8.

Bennett said Bredeweg went to bed late Saturday, and her body was found Sunday morning when staff came to wake her up for breakfast.

The autopsy conducted on Bredeweg’s body listed her cause of death as possible asphyxia, Bennett said. There were no signs of foul play.

Bredeweg had been a resident at Sunset Manor for at least several years, Bennett said. She was mainly self-sufficient, but needed assistance with some daily tasks.

The Michigan Department of Human Services Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing is conducting a special investigation into Bredeweg’s death, according to a state spokesperson.

The spokesperson said the investigation is a normal procedure, and Sunset Manor notified the state of Bredeweg’s death.

Chad Tuttle, the CEO of Sunset Manor, told 24 Hour News 8 that his staff was shocked and saddened by Bredeweg’s death, and everyone was grieving the loss and struggling to cope.

Tuttle also said the facility was working with the state to look into what happened, and find ways to prevent it from happening again in the future.

Sunset Manor has no prior history of accidental deaths, according to state records.

blog comments powered by Disqus