GRAND RAPID, Mich (WOODTV) One thing on the minds of so many these past few years is the job market. In southwest Michigan, the outlook is fairly strong. Emily Turner from Onstaff USA, our expert in staffing, talks about not only who is leading in these areas but what employers are doing to attract good candidates.
The market in SW Michigan which is defined as GR, Lansing, Kalamazoo and Battle Creek is in job growth mode across all major industries and is reporting an unemployment rate of nearly 6%.
So what industries are leading the employment gains?
What are recruiters and companies doing to find talented candidates for open positions in SW Michigan?
- Pay and Benefits are awesome – but sometimes FLEXIBILITY is key. Offering a flexible schedule or the ability to take time as needed might be a candidates #1
- Offer the ability to be involved in Community Service- many candidates want this and thrive off volunteer work – give them the opportunity to give back to our communities.
- Have a “loose dress code” All companies have rules and regulations but maybe not the business suit every day – does business casual cut it for your business?
- Don’t forget there are “seasoned” candidates that want to work – explore offering part time or job sharing for the right candidate if that situation comes up
- Don’t write off people with long term gaps in work history – in a market of 6% unemployment you MUST talk to every candidate that meets the minimum qualifications
- Training, Training, Training – people are seeking new employers the offer training on new skills
- If hiring a full time candidate is not an option – look at a “Contractor
- Look at Visa sponsorships – it is an investment of $3000-$7000 for a company – there are agencies in Michigan Global Talent Retention Initiative of Michigan and New Economy Initiative that can assist with sponsoring a Visa
- Show case company culture so that job seekers want to work for you
- In this market of 6% unemployment – if you really want to fill positions – don’t let pay get in the way – the market changes every day – Pay for the Skill – there are groups that can assist you with data such as Society of HR Management
OnStaff USA is based in Portage, and has offices in Battle Creek, Otsego, Decatur, Dowagiac, and St. Joseph.