No one called DTE before house explosion

A fire in the area of North Park Court NE and Cheney Avenue. (May 27, 2014)

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Neighbors said they wonder if a call to DTE Energy could have prevented the Tuesday explosion and fire that leveled a northeast Grand Rapids home — but no one who reported smelling the gas called the energy provider.

Neighbors in the area of North Park Court and Cheney Avenue NE called 911 Monday night because they smelled natural gas. Firefighters who responded to the scene didn’t smell anything and left around 9:52 p.m. No one called DTE Energy.

At 1:16 p.m. Tuesday, neighbors again called 911. This time, it was because a house in the area had exploded and then caught fire. When the flames died down, all that was left standing was part of the garage.

A fire in the area of North Park Court NE and Cheney Avenue. (May 27, 2014)No one was in the home at the time of the explosion and resulting fire and no one was hurt.

Fire officials noted that the neighbors had smelled gas the night before and stressed that they should have called the gas company.

A neighbor told 24 Hour News 8 Wednesday she assumed when the fire department left on Monday night that everything would be fine. She wonders if things might have been different.

“I am not looking to place blame on either the citizens or anyone else,” Roger Royer from DTE Energy said.

But, he said, “if you smell gas, give us a call.”

“That is the reason that we add the odorant to the gas, so that it alerts you,” Royer explained.

Grand Rapids Fire Department Acting Deputy Chief Kevin Sehlmeyer said the Monday night call came from up the street. He said firefighters spent time with neighbors and no one smelled the gas again.

Then, he said, neighbors told him while he was responding to the explosion that they had again smelled gas at 5 a.m. Again, no one called the gas company.

Both Sehlmeyer and Royer agree the incident should serve as a reminder to call the gas company anytime you get a whiff.

The DTE Energy number for gas emergencies is 800.947.5000. The Consumers Energy number for gas emergencies is 800.477.5050.



Consumers Energy gas emergency tips

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s