PD: Hallucinating man starts gas leak

STURGIS, Mich. (WOOD) — Some Sturgis homes and a day care had to be evacuated for a couple of hours Wednesday after a man deliberately started a gas leak in his house.

Around 1 p.m., according to the Sturgis Police Department, the man came into the police station lobby. He was experiencing hallucinations and “extreme paranoia,” police said.

He soon told police he had intentionally caused a natural gas leak in his home in the 300 block of South Nottawa Street.

Police and firefighters went to the residence, finding it was filling with natural gas. Firefighters were able to stop the leak.

Nearby homes and a day care were evacuated as a precaution.

By 3 p.m., the residence was deemed safe and neighbors were allowed to return to their homes.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s