COURTLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) – The fire is out at a pet resort and salon near Rockford, and all of the staff members and animals were able to make it out safe.
The fire sparked Friday afternoon at the Holiday Pet Resort and Salon, which is located at 10950 Northland Drive in Courtland Township north of Rockford.
Fire officials said the crematorium may have overheated, which could have caused the fire.
Mike Plesko, who owns the business with his wife, Sally, said the crematorium was active at the time of the fire. The couple has owned the pet resort since 1998.
“I just can’t believe what I’m seeing right now, kind of still in shock,” said Sally.
Most of the damage was done to the back of the building, and the damage could cost close to $250,000 to repair.
Plesko said that staff had trained on how to react to an emergency situation, and they were able to get all of the dogs out before any of them were in harm’s way.
“We have trained for such a situation and they took over great they got all the pets out. Plus we have had wonderful neighbors and friends that have come over and helped. We can’t thank them enough. They did a marvelous job,” said Mike.
He also said that neighbors and friends came to help keep an eye on the dogs as fire crews worked to put out the fire.
“I saw the smoke and kept hearing the sirens going and going and I knew it couldn’t be good,” said Brittany Bylsma, who lives nearby.
The Plesko’s said local area kennels and vets have stepped in to take care of the dogs that escaped the fire.
“This has been around for a long time. Seeing this go up in flames is not exciting at all, by any means. I hope they can get this up and going again soon,” Bylsma said.
The Plesko’s said they plan on rebuilding.
“Oh, we’re coming back. We’re coming back. There is no stopping us. This is just a little glitch. We will be back bigger and better,” said Mike.
Six different fire departments were called to the scene, including about 40 to 50 firefighters.