GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD)— Officials with the Grand Rapids Fire Department are working to learn the cause of a house fire on the city’s southwest side.
The fire happened at home on Indiana Avenue SW near Wealthy Street.
Fire officials said flames sparked just after 5 a.m. Monday.
The fire started on the back porch of the home and worked its way upstairs and into the attic. Residents woke up to the sound of the smoke detector and heard glass breaking, officials said.
The house is divided up into several apartments. Officials said there were four children and two adults inside the home, but everyone made it out safely.