April death now listed as homicide

Jason VanOstran (Family photo courtesy)
Jason VanOstran (Family photo courtesy)

KALAMAZOO TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Police are now calling the April death of a Kalamazoo man a homicide.

Jason VanOstran, 29, was found dead in a Kalamazoo Township mobile home on April 17. Police said at the time he was found “obviously deceased” with “wounds that would be consistent” with a report of a  shooting, but did not provide further details. VanOstran’s mother told 24 Hour News 8 he had been shot in the head.

Kalamazoo Township Police Chief Tim Bourgeois confirmed Tuesday that VanOstran’s case is now listed as a homicide.

It’s unclear why police did not immediately call the death a homicide.

Police said they would like to speak to Timothy Salo again about the case. They were looking for Salo shortly after the death and said Tuesday they have already talked to him once.

Timothy Salo sought in death investigation in Kalamazoo Township. (April 18, 2014)
(Timothy Salo.)

Salo, 28, is not considered a suspect, police said, but investigators would like to speak with him.

Salo was married to VanOstran’s sister, but they have since separated, VanOstran’s mother told 24 Hour News 8 in April.

blog comments powered by Disqus