Man burned while making fireworks at home

PORTAGE, Mich. (WOOD) — A 50-year-old man is suffering from multiple burn injuries following an explosion at his home while authorities say he was trying to make fireworks.

The Portage Department of Public Safety responded to the home in the 2200 block of Fairfield Street around 10:20 p.m. Tuesday on a report of an explosion and fire.

Portage Fire investigators say the 50-year-old resident was attempting to make and alter fireworks when the explosion happened.

The man received several burns during the incident and was transported to Bronson Hospital for multiple burn injuries.

Fire investigators also found a meth lab at the home which they say is unrelated to the explosion and fire.

Both incidents remain under investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Portage Department of Public Safety at 269.329.4567 or Silent Observer at 249.343.2100 or kalamazoosilentobserver.com.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s