KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — Kalamazoo is asking its residents to refrain from opening city fire hydrants.
In a Thursday release, the city said there has been “a large increase in the unauthorized private use” of city hydrants.
The city says people can be hurt opening and closing the hydrants, and that unauthorized use can affect traffic, as well as damage underground pipes and disrupt water service.
The city reminds residents there is a water park on Florence Street near Burrell Avenue and a public pool at Upjohn Park.
Additionally, the city says it will open the following hydrants between 1 p.m. and dusk on hot days:
- The back end of Interfaith Apartments building 1038 at the far northwest corner
- Krom and Clay streets
- Washington Avenue and March Street
- Sherwood Avenue at Roosevelt Apartments
- Clarence and Jackson streets
- Hays Park Avenue and March Street
Anyone who sees an open hydrant is asked to call 269.337.8148.