DPS: Fire after powder for fireworks explodes


GRAND HAVEN, Mich. (WOOD) — A Grand Haven house fire was started when a man tried to make his own fireworks, authorities say.

It happened in the 600 block of Columbus Ave around 11 a.m. Friday. A neighbor said she first saw one of the people who lives in the house in the yard with a garden hose, shouting for someone to call 911.

When fire crews arrived, they found the entire second floor burning.

Firefighters knocked down those flames, but there was still more work to do:

“The fire extended to a couple of other roofs that stepped down over a first floor area and then the back porch. Both those roofs were on fire,” Grand Haven Public Safety Director Jeff Hawke said.

Crews had to use chainsaws to cut into walls and ceilings as they searched for any hidden fire.

Firefighters from the City of Grand Haven, Grand Haven Township and Ferrysburg Township spent more than two hours on the scene.

The house sustained significant damage.

A late Friday afternoon release from Grand Haven DPS said an investigation revealed a resident was using black powder to make homemade fireworks when the power exploded, starting the fire.

The resident’s arm was burned in the explosion, the release said. The severity of the burn and the resident’s condition was unknown late Friday afternoon.

The case will be reviewed by the Ottawa County Prosecutor’s Office once the investigation into the fire is complete, the release said.

A resident picking up some items saved from the fire declined to talk about the fire.

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus