FRUITLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Twenty-seven people were taken to the hospital and 62 are being evaluated after there was some sort of chlorine release at a pool at Michigan’s Adventure Friday afternoon, authorities said.
No severe injuries were reported. Those taken to the hospital suffered respiratory issues, including mild irritation to the nose ears and lungs, according to Dr. F. Remington Sprague, the chief medical officer at Mercy Health Muskegon.
Sprague said the exposure appeared to be minimal and all victims have been treated and released.
Authorities said the chlorine release was under control late Friday afternoon. A hazmat official said it was too early to speculate on what caused it, and park employees are investigating.
>>Photos: Hazmat situation at Michigan’s Adventure
Multiple fire trucks, law enforcement officials and ambulances rushed to the scene around 3:30 p.m. A large shower was brought to the parking lot to help people who had come into contact with the chlorine rinse off, according to Richard Grescowle with Whitehall Rescue.
The rest of the park remained open Friday afternoon as a hazmat team went to test chlorine levels in the pool where the release occurred.
Hazmat officials said the people who came into contact with the chlorine were quickly moved to a decontamination area, and given the circumstances, the process went very smoothly.
Sprague said that in severe cases, those who come into contact with chlorine could develop a lung condition requiring supported ventilation, but he didn’t believe that would be necessary in this case. However, the effects of chemical exposure can be delayed, and as a precaution, he warned people to watch for wheeziness and shortness of breath, particularly in children.
Check back with woodtv.com for the latest.