Most exposure injuries minor at MI Adventures

Emergency responders at the parking lot of Michigan's Adventure on Friday after a chlorine release at a pool. (July 11, 2014)

MUSKEGON, Mich. (WOOD) — More than two dozen were brought to Mercy Health Muskegon’s Hackley and Mercy Campuses with injuries that were typical of what doctors call minor exposure.

Around 60 people had to get medical care after being exposed to a high level of chlorine at one of the pools at Michigan’s Adventure in Fruitland Township Friday afternoon. Most people were sent to the parking lot where they were hosed down while others were sent to the hospital.

“It was almost like a cloud of chlorine in the air, making it nearly impossible to breathe right,” said Matt Kelleher as he and his 11 year old son left the Hackley Emergency Room Campus Friday evening.

Kelleher and his son had just come down the water slide when they got a whiff of chlorine.

People being hosed off at the parking lot at Michigan's Adventure in Muskegon County after a chlorine release at a pool there. Photo courtesy: Kelly Lebo. (July 11, 2014)
People being hosed off at the parking lot at Michigan’s Adventure in Muskegon County after a chlorine release at a pool there. Photo courtesy: Kelly Lebo. (July 11, 2014)

“Ended up pulling our shirts over our mouths in order to breath better,” says Kelleher.

The dozen or so people around them seem to have the same reaction to run.

“It was in between a panic and an orderly run. I think everyone has the same thing we wanted to do, just get to fresh air,” Kelleher told 24 Hour News 8.

None of the patients brought to the Hackley and Mercy campuses were expected to stay overnight.

“There don’t appear to be any pulmonary or lung complications at this time and they’re all breathing well and their oxygen levels are normal,” says Dr. F. Remington Sprague, MD, Chief Medical Officer with Mercy Health Muskegon.

Still, there is a chance some may have a delayed reaction to the exposure.

“Now the eyes may be red.  Maybe a little bit of a runny those. Those are not anything to be concerned about,” says Dr. Sprauge. “But if the child or adult is having respiratory distress, wheezing, shortness of breath, they should come in.”

Doctors said the fact this was an outdoor, as opposed to an enclosed pool helped. The chlorine was able to disperse into the atmosphere, lessening the affects.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s