GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) You’ve heard of backyard and restaurant “takeover” shows, and there’s something just like that going on in Grand Rapids. It’s called the vegan kitchen takeover. JR Renusson is half of The Vegan Kitchen Takeover team. They take over certain restaurants about once a month and create an all-vegan menu that’s appropriate to the setting of the restaurant. A percentage of their sales goes to various animal rescue organizations and charities.
Watch Renusson create some delicious items for a vegan picnic right in the eightWest studio!
Grandma Brady’s PB Chocolate Crispy Treats
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter or sunflower butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 cups Rice Krispies (Gluten Free or Regular)
- 1.5 to 2 cups Enjoy Chocolate Chips
- Combine sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat and add vanilla and peanut butter. Mix.
- Add six cups Rice Krispies. Mix.
- Add to a greased 9 x 13 pan (use canola oil or coconut oil to grease pan)
- While that is cooling, add melted chocolate.
- Do not place in refrigerator or it will get too hard.
- 10 slices tempeh
- 1 Tbsp. Earth Balance butter
- 2 to 3 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup Veganaise
- Heat Earth Balance butter in pan.
- Slice tempeh 1/8 to a 1/4 inch thick and cook on high heat in Earth Balance butter.
- Cook about one minute each side until light golden brown, add soy sauce.
- Turn off heat and add maple syrup. Let cool.
- In a bowl, add chopped garlic and Veganaise and mix.
- Add tempeh to bagel topped with lettuce, tomato, and garlic Veganaise.
Citrus Cilantro Mac Attack
- 1 box noodles
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate
- 3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup Veganaise
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1.5 cups frozen peas
- 2 avocados, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook noodles according to package.
- Once cooked, rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, add peas, noodles, avocados and onions.
- In a separate bowl, mix together chopped garlic, lime juice, orange juice concentrate, chopped cilantro, paprika and Veganaise.
- Combine all. Add salt and pepper to taste.