GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) Hundreds of moviegoers in Grand Rapids will be packing in to take in a movie this weekend, but they won’t be a in a dark theater. They’ll be outside, next to the Grand River, with their eyes focused on a three-story screen!
Movies in the Park has drawn hundreds of people to Ah-Nab-Awen Park this summer, with films such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, Grease, Dreamgirls, and the Rocky Horror Picture Show. On Friday, August 8, they will be showing the 80s classic Top Gun.
Pre-movie entertainment begins at 7 p.m., and the film will start at dusk. The evening will have a number of activities:
- Live DJ performance by “ABisAdrianButler,” mixing music of the 1980s with hits from Top Gun’s soundtrack.
- Carpe Diem Volleyball will be organizing drop-in games and offering lessons.
- “Ice Guru” Randy Finch, star of the Food Network’s Ice Brigade television show, will perform a live ice carving.
- Friends of Grand Rapids Parks and the Grand Rapids Children’s Museum will have playgrounds set up for kids.
- The Grand Rapids Public Museum will have a practice zone for flying paper airplanes.
- An appearance from Grand Rapids’ own Maverick and Goose.
- The Voters’ Choice film for August 22 will be announced.
- Guests will have the opportunity to win a $100 gift card to Founders Brewing Co.
- At 9 p.m., a rare entertainment addition will thrill the audience and officially kick off the screening of the film.
Guests are welcome to bring chairs or blankets along with food, wine, and beer. A variety of local vendors will have additional food available for purchase.
The next Movies in the Park is a double feature on Friday, August 22. They will show Jurassic Park and the Voter’s Choice, which will be revealed before the Top Gun showing on August 8.