KENTWOOD, Mich. (WOOD) — The mother of the 12-year-old boy accused of stabbing and killing a 9-year-old on a Kentwood playground last week apologized to the victim’s family in an interview with the Detroit Free Press.
Jamarion Lawhorn, 12, is being charged with murder as an adult in juvenile court. The youngest person ever to be charged with murder in Kent County, he is expected back in court Monday for a preliminary hearing.
According to police, Lawhorn used a kitchen knife to stab Michael Connor Verkerke on the playground at the Pinebook Village mobile home park on the evening of Aug. 4. Police say the boys had never met before.
When officers arrived, police say, Lawhorn yelled, “I just stabbed someone. I want to die. I’m tired of life.”
Police say Lawhorn admitted to stabbing Connor.
“I can’t imagine having to feel that type of loss so soon, so sudden,” the 12-year-old’s mother Anita Lawhorn said in an interview with the Detroit Free Press. “I’m so sorry that they have to go through what they are going through. I’m just so sorry.”
At a candlelight vigil for Connor last week, the boy’s great-uncle said his family’s “heart goes out” to Lawhorn’s family.
“We know that even though we are dealing with a different type of pain, they will be dealing with a similar pain every day for the rest their lives,” Jim Stearns said.
In response, Lawhorn’s mother told the Free Press, “That’s so kind. I wanted to go to the vigil, but I was afraid how they would react.”
If Lawhorn is found guilty of murder, he could be held in a juvenile facility until he is 21, at which point a judge would decide whether to send him to prison. Because of this age, he is guaranteed a chance at parole.
A memorial service for Connor is scheduled for Wednesday.