Court documents: Assault suspect had violent history


MORLEY, Mich. (WOOD) — A domestic assault suspect who threatened officers and barricaded himself inside of a home Wednesday has a startling history of violence, according to court documents.

Brandon Clements, 39, of Vestaburg was taken into custody Wednesday night after locking himself inside of a house on Monroe Road near 125th Avenue in the village of Morley, which is north of Howard City.

The incident started early Wednesday with an alleged domestic assault in a vehicle near Lakeview, according to a police news release. Clements waited in the back seat of his ex-girlfriend’s car outside her place of work and then assaulted her. The 32-year-old woman was able to get out of the car and ran away. Clements took off in her car and drove to her home.

Court documents show the victim and Clements had been dating for about two years. The victim first filed a personal protection order against him in 2013 after he “sent threatening voicemails and text messages about burning her house down.”

In June, the Montcalm County Sheriff’s Department had an encounter with Clements.

“I don’t know what led to the disagreement in June, but I know he pursued [the victim] down the road,” said Montcalm County Sheriff’s Det. Sgt. Thomas Goerge.

Clements allegedly began ramming the victim’s car in a parking lot and eventually blocked her from leaving, according to the documents. The victim was eventually able to find her way out of the parking lot and contacted police. Clements was arrested that day, but went to the hospital after complaining of medical issues.

“There was an indication that there was going to be ongoing medical treatment and he would actually be leaving that facility. Law enforcement wouldn’t stay there any longer at that point and he then took the opportunity to make his break at that time,” Goerge said.

Clements was on the run for two months despite efforts to locate him.

“We coordinated with Mecosta County and followed up on any tips where we thought he was,” Goerge told 24 Hour News 8. “There was actually some Silent Observer tips that came in that we followed through on, but we weren’t successful until Wednesday’s event.”

Officials said they worked with limited resources but did everything they could to locate Clements to get him into custody before the incident on Wednesday.

“We – within the resources that we have – put every effort toward trying to bring him to justice. Sometimes we’re limited by manpower, limited by public cooperation, but we do what we can, the best we can with what we have and fortunately, this one ended where no one was injured,” Goerge said.

The department will review the case to look for any errors.

“We evaluate all of our cases, especially when we have something that turns to this magnitude,” Goerge said. “We look them over, look for ways we could have better responded to it or to even have avoided the situation to start with.”

According to court documents, the victim expressed her distress after Wednesday’s event, saying, “I fear for myself and others in the community. This has become a safety issue.”

24 Hour News 8 also spoke to the victim’s family members over the phone. They said the victim is still shaken up by the incident and they are grateful the situation did not have a worse outcome.
Clements was arraigned Thursday on charges of unlawful imprisonment, a 10-year felony; malicious destruction of property, a five-year felony; felonious assault, a four-year felony; misdemeanor domestic violence; and auto theft.

blog comments powered by Disqus