Man building lawn mower burned in explosion

The Orleans Township property where a man caused an explosion while building a lawn mower. (Aug. 24, 2014)

ORLEANS TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A man was burned when his attempt to build a lawn mower caused an explosion Sunday morning.

It happened around 8 a.m. in the 7000 block of N. Johnson Road in Orleans Township, east of Belding.

Firefighters say the man was trying to build a lawn mower out of a 55-gallon drum. Sparks from the hand grinder he was using to cut the drum ignited fuel remnants in the barrel, causing an explosion.

The blast was powerful enough to blow the top off the barrel, sending it hurtling through a wooden garage door, firefighters said.

The man was not hit by the debris, but he was burned.

He was taken to a Grand Rapids hospital. His condition was not known Sunday afternoon.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s