Man burned in explosion, house fire

SOUTH HAVEN TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A man suffered severe burns after a fire broke out at his home Monday evening.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 70000 block of Country Road 380 in South Haven Township just before 6 p.m., according to South Haven Area Emergency Services

The fire started in the furnace room and spread to the attic, firefighters said. They had difficulty containing it due to 40 mph winds.

The fire started when an explosion happened as the man who lives at the home tried to light the pilot light on the hot water heater, authorities said.

The 23-year-old sustained severe burns on his face, hands and arms. He was taken to a Kalamazoo hospital for treatment. His condition was not known Monday night.

The home sustained heavy fire damage to the attic and the furnace room.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s