BC VA Medical Center fire sparks chemical reaction

A fire at the VA Medical Center in Battle Creek sparked a chemical reaction. (Dec. 8, 2014)

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (WOOD) — A fire at the Battle Creek VA Medical Center is under investigation after causing a chemical reaction.

Firefighters were able to quickly put the fire out after it started just before 2 a.m. Monday inside the laundry facility at the VA Medical Center, located at 5500 Armstrong Road.

No one was inside the facility when the fire began.

Officials told 24 Hour News 8 the chemical sodium bisulfite was released during the fire. The chemical can cause skin and eye irritation, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

At last check, officials were waiting until morning to see how to dispose of the chemicals.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s