MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, Mich. (WOOD) — Two people were hospitalized after the Muskegon Heights house they were squatting in caught fire.
The fire broke out around 9:20 a.m. Wednesday at a boarded up house in the 2800 block of Baker Street near E. Broadway Avenue that had been abandoned, fire officials on the scene said.
The fire was discovered by an officer on patrol who smelled smoke and then saw some smoke coming from the house. When fire crews arrived, heavy smoke was pouring from the house.
Police said Jeffrey Kitchen was able to escape the fire on his own and was treated and released from a local hospital.
Firefighters rescued Jennifer Gillis, who was unconscious, from the second floor of the home. She remains in very critical condition in a Grand Rapids area hospital, according to police.
Investigators returned to the home on Jan. 5 in order to remove collapsed debris and get a better look. They were able to determine that the fire was the result of human activity.
However, the building did not have electric or gas hooked up at the time. Investigators are still looking into how exactly the fire started and who else may have been in the home before the fire was discovered.
Anyone with information regarding this fire is encouraged to call the Michigan State Police Rockford Post at 616.866.4411 or The Michigan Arson Prevention Committee tip line at 1.800.442.7766.