GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) A new year means out with the old and in with the new. A great way to make a new start is to get rid of all the clutter in your house! Jill Wallace from Goodwill and the newest member of the WOTV4Women crew, has some great tips to get it done.
Before You Start
- Be prepared to make tough decisions before you start – it’s time to get rid of clutter!
- Get a “clutter buddy” – decide if a friend might be helpful to motivate and make tough decisions
- Keep track of what you donate for tax purpose
- Don’t feel you have to conquer it all in one day. Take on one room, closet, or drawer at a time. Pick a snow day or a weekend so you have plenty of time.
- Pick one task you know you have time for – if you have a short amount of time, pick a small cupboard or drawer.
- Give away gifts you’ll never use. Don’t feel bad – it will go to someone who really needs it.
- Focus on giving – even if it’s an expensive item, it’s not getting any use just sitting around.
- Are you keeping it for sentimental reasons? Put keepsakes in plastic tub for storage.
- If it’s broken and you can’t fix it or haven’t yet – donate it.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Do I actually wear this? If you haven’t worn it in the past year, get rid of it.
- Does it fit?
- Could I easily replace this if I actually need it one day?
- Is it out of style?
- Do I have multiples of these? Eliminate duplicates
- Make room for new toys from Christmas
- If you don’t have room for it, get rid of it
- Get rid of duplicates
- Specialty appliances – do you use them?
Donations to Goodwill are tax-deductible and go toward job placement and training.