GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) A great dinner out is a favorite way to spend Valentine’s Day, but a home cooked meal can be even more romantic! Impress your date with a beautiful dinner from Gary Saulter, author of “Recipes I’ve Stolen.”
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless and trimmed, organic if possible
- EVOO or grape seed oil combo
- Spinach (small bunch or package)
- 2 oz. pine nuts
- 3 oz. Feta cheese
- Flour, 3 eggs, and bread crumbs for coating
- ½ pint heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- 3 oz. sundried tomatoes, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp. pesto
- Pound chicken breasts flat, S+P, or you can split them open.
- Arrange spinach leaves on inside of chicken, covering breasts.
- Sprinkle pine nuts and Feta cheese.
- Roll chicken breast tight.
- Make 3 bowls for flour, egg wash and bread crumbs.
- Add 1 Tbsp. heavy cream or buttermilk to the egg wash
- Dip in seasoned flour.
- Then egg wash and bread crumbs.
- I find it best to then take the rolled chicken and place on individual pieces of plastic wrap and twist into little chicken rolls.
- Put breaded chicken in hot oil for 10 minutes, turning to brown.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done. Check internal temperature with the thermometer. It should read 160 degrees.
- In saucepan, add heavy cream, sundried tomatoes, kosher salt, and 2-3 Tbsp. of pesto.
- Heat and serve over chicken.
Learn Gary’s cooking secrets at a cooking class on Friday, February 20. It takes place at Thought Design Learning Studio in Rockford from 6:30 to 9:30. It is $50 per person, and you can sign up online.