GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOOD) Friday, March 13 is a special day for P.O.R.T., the Pediatric Oncology Resource Team at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital. A night out means more services for the close to 300 families they help each year. The 7th Annual P.O.R.T. Night Out Fundraiser located at Bridgewater Place (333 Bridge Street NW, Grand Rapids, MI). P.O.R.T. provides and promotes compassionate, personalized support to families with children diagnosed with cancer or a life-threatening blood disorder.
P.O.R.T. is 100% funded by grants and donations and operates with over 200 volunteers. Some of the many services provided include:
- P.O.R.T. Family Care Bags: Canvas tote bags are filled with a variety of personal care items, snack and a medication cooler. Given to families upon diagnosis.
- Parent and family networking: Family support volunteers and parent mentor volunteers are available to comfort families as they begin this challenging journey.
- Respite volunteers: Specially trained volunteers are available to sit with a child in the hospital, so parents can attend to other demands in their lives or just have time away for themselves.
- Family assistance items: Cafeteria meal passes, prepaid phone and gas cards and an inpatient snack pantry are available to help provide financial relief for families.
- Special events: Spa Night, Dad’s Night Out with the Kids, an annual picnic, holiday parties and clinic party days are a few examples of the family-friendly activities available throughout the year.
For more information please view the event brochure. For questions or to purchase tickets over the phone, please call the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Foundation at 616.391.2000.