Kerosene stove malfunction blamed for death of Amish girl, 3

BUTLER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a 3-year-old Amish girl died when a kerosene stove malfunction set her southern Michigan home on fire.

The Branch County sheriff’s department says the fire broke out about 11 a.m. Wednesday at a home in Butler Township, east of Coldwater.

The Daily Reporter of Coldwater identifies the victim as Leah Graber and says her mother was cooking when the stove began to put out heavy smoke. The sheriff’s department says deputies arrived to find the girl’s family trying to get back inside the home to save her.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s