Business near Standale destroyed in fire

Firefighters work to put out a large fire at Kleyn Electric near Standale. (March 25, 2015)

TALLMADGE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — A commercial building was destroyed in a fire near Standale Wednesday morning.

The fire started just after 6:30 a.m. in the attic at Kleyn Electric, located at 11319 1st Avenue in Tallmadge Township. Flames were seen shooting from the roof.

Workers inside the building could smell the smoke, but couldn’t see where it was coming from because there’s a metal shield that separates the ceiling and attic.

Tallmadge Township Fire Chief Mike Gavin said a firefighter became dehydrated, but no employees were injured.

The building is a total loss.

Gavin said there were no fire alarms or sprinklers in the building, which is legal for that building. He is not sure if a fire alarm would’ve made a big difference.

Multiple fire departments responded to the scene.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s