GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Nearly two dozen students from Grand Rapids Public Schools are competing to have their energy-related work displayed during this years’ ArtPrize competition.
Tuesday, officials from GRPS, Consumers Energy and ArtPrize announced the 20 semi-finalists of the SmartArt competition, which stands for Students Making Art with a Renewable Theme.
The 20 semi-finalists will now be judge by a panel of art professionals from Kendall College of Art & Design at Ferris State University, Grand Rapids Community College and Grand Valley State University. The top winners will be announced at the start of ArtPrize 2015 on Sept. 23.
Top winner is scheduled to be announced during the Final 20 announcement Oct. 4.
The 20 semi-finalists announced Tuesday, along with their artwork title, grade and high school:
- Destiny Alcantar,Destiny, 10th, Central;
- Elijah Alicea,Independent Earth, 10th, City;
- Christian Betts, Alternate Future, 12th, Central;
- Jensen Bigelow,A Glance into the Future, 10th, City;
- Ruby Biggs,Renewable Energy, 12th, Central;
- Ashley Borres-Diaz,All In One, 12th, Union;
- Zoe Bultman,Flower Power, 10th, City;
- Meaghan Gietzen,The Power of Nature, 11th, City;
- Freddy Herrera,Bright Ideas Leading to a Bright Future, 12th, Union;
- Desiree Jones,Grand Perspective, 12th, City;
- Tatum Kovach,Preserving Our Prints, 11th, City;
- Isabel Maternowski,Solar Gain, 10th, City;
- Juan Mora,A Smart World, 12th, Central;
- Katelyn Morrison,The Vision, 9th, Union;
- Heidi Orr,Recalled Energy, 12th, City;
- Jaidyn Pursell,Sight of Energy, 9th, Union
- Vincente Rodriguez,Biggest Regret, 12th, Union;
- Eric Steeby,Changes, 10th, City;
- Hannah Summers,The Green House Effect, 10th, Central;
- Morgan VanWestenBruggeDirty Jobs, 12th, Central;
Consumers Energy will award a $1,000 scholarship to the SmartArt winner. The top ten art pieces will be display on the exterior of the Consumers Energy building at Fulton Street and Monroe Avenue in downtown Grand Rapids throughout ArtPrize.