GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The mother of Jamarion Lawhorn — the 13-year-old who is accused of murder — has entered into a plea deal in a welfare fraud case.
Anita Lawhorn pleaded guilty on Thursday to one count of welfare fraud, failure to inform – $500 or more. That’s a four-year felony. Another count of welfare fraud over $500 was dismissed as part of the plea agreement.
The welfare fraud happened in April 2010, records show. Lawhorn’s attorney previously told 24 Hour News 8 the Department of Human Services claimed Lawhorn failed to disclose some of the aid one of her children was getting.
Lawhorn and her husband Bernard Harrold still face charges for allegedly beating her son Jamarion.
Jamarion,13, faces a murder charge for allegedly stabbing 9-year-old Connor Verkerke to death on a Kentwood playground in August 2014. He apparently said he did it because he wanted to die and take someone with him. Jamarion was 12 at the time, and he is the youngest person ever charged with murder in Kent County. Earlier this month, a judge ruled he was competent to stand trial.
Anita Lawhorn has said she did not abuse her son and in court documents blamed her husband Harrold for any harm Jamarion may have suffered.
Their other children have been removed from their care.
The abuse case involving Jamarion has led to statewide changes in Children’s Protective Services after it failed to take steps to remove tho boy from his mother’s care a year ago.