EAST GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) – The East Grand Rapids City Commission has approved the proposed 2016 budget, which includes money for new body cameras for the Public Safety Department.
The budget for the fiscal year ending on June 30, 2016 was passed unanimously Monday.
East Grand Rapids’ budget, which takes effect July 1, is $22.4 million. It includes $2.2 million in capital projects which include:
- Street and sidewalk repairs and improvements
- New body cameras for the public safety department
- New in-car video system for public safety
- Water and sewer upgrades
In April, East Grand Rapids voters passed a local millage to raise about $1.2 million per year for 10 years. The City of East Grand Rapids says the first year of the city’s improvement plan likely will include:
- Replacement of Reeds Lake Boulevard culvert
- Repaving sections of nine streets: Anderson, Briarwood, Cambridge Boulevard, Cambridge Drive, Coronado, Eastlawn, Gladstone, Santa Barbara, Sherman
- Preventative street maintenance including crack sealing, spray patching and storm sewer work
- Sidewalk construction and repairs
- Traffic signal upgrades
- Storm sewer repairs on Conlon Avenue