Police: No evidence of shooting at Washington Navy Yard

A large police presence gathers along M St. Southeast near the Navy Yard in Washington, Thursday, July 2, 2015, after an official said shots were reported in a building on the Washington Navy yard campus. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Investigators found no evidence of a shooting after the Washington Navy Yard went on lockdown Thursday because someone reported shots fired in the same building where a gunman killed 12 workers in a rampage two years ago.

D.C. police said in a statement that someone had called from inside a Navy Yard building to report possible sounds of gun shots around 7:30 a.m. However, investigators found no sign of a shooting, and no one was hurt.

An official who had been briefed on the situation had previously said no arrests had been made and no weapons were found. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to release details.

Authorities received an alert about a potential shooter, which triggered a large response in keeping with protocols established after the 2013 massacre, the official said.

A U.S. official who also spoke on condition of anonymity said Navy security saw surveillance video of two people jumping the fence in the vicinity of the building a couple of minutes before the first report of gunfire. Security found no one inside the building, the official said.

A heavy police and fire department presence began blocks away from the Navy Yard, with roads blocked and a helicopter hovering overhead. The FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were on the scene.

Gates to the Navy Yard were closed, and all people were advised to shelter in place, said Chatney Auger, spokeswoman for Naval District Washington.

Thousands would be at the base at the time of the reports, Navy public affairs officer Chris Johnson told reporters outside the facility.

In September 2013, military contractor Aaron Alexis killed 12 civilian workers at the Navy Yard’s Building 197 before he was fatally shot by police. The building has since been renamed the Humphreys Building. It reopened this year.

When facilities specialist Chris Robertson heard an alarm and loudspeaker instructions about 7:30 a.m., he said his first thought was: “Here we go again.”

He said his supervisor called at 7:33 a.m. and told him and his two co-workers to leave. He also said he hadn’t noticed anything unusual Thursday morning — everything was normal.

———

Associated Press writers Brad Foss, Ted Bridis, and Jessica Gresko contributed to this report.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s