Undersheriff: Suspect surrenders; 1-year-old safe

Police on the scene at Cedar Springs Mobile Estates. (July 22, 2015)

CEDAR SPRINGS, Mich. (WOOD) — A domestic assault suspect who was holed up in a Cedar Springs mobile home for hours on Wednesday night surrendered not long after midnight, and the child who was with him was not hurt, authorities say.

The Kent County Sheriff’s Department and Michigan State Police were on the scene on Sarah Street at Cedar Springs Mobile Estates on the north side of town for more than four hours. Undersheriff Michelle LaJoye-Young said they first responded around 7:30 p.m. after a mobile home park resident called 911 and said she had been assaulted by her live-in boyfriend.

The woman was hurt, Young said, but is expected to be OK.

The boyfriend, a 23-year-old Cedar Springs man, was still in the residence with the couple’s 1-year-old daughter when authorities arrived on the scene.

The victim told authorities that the man was armed when she left the mobile home. It wasn’t known if he still had a weapon on him when they arrived, but authorities knew he still had access to one, so they proceeded with caution. Young also said the man may have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Authorities set up a perimeter around the mobile home in question to protect the public and make sure the suspect couldn’t get away. A tactical team was called in. Young said authorities wanted to communicate with the man, get him to come outside and resolve the issue peacefully.

They tried for hours to make contact, an effort made difficult because there was not a phone in the mobile home. Eventually, Young said, authorities ran a camera through a window to see what the man was doing and used a megaphone to communicate. The camera revealed that the suspect didn’t have a weapon on him at the time.

Around midnight, police used the megaphone to tell the man to come to the front door. They said they didn’t want anyone to get hurt. They could be heard ordering the man to keep his hands up and visible to officers. Then was a loud bang, which the undersheriff said was a sort of “flash grenade” that was used as a distraction.

Young said there was no need for force when the man surrendered and was taken into custody.

She also said the 1-year-old was doing well.

Police were clearing the scene around 12:30 a.m.

The man’s name was not immediately released. Young said he was expected to face some sort of domestic violence charge.

WOOD TV8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s