GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — A Kentucky reptile zoo rushed antivenom to a Grand Rapids-area hospital to treat a snake bit victim.
The Kentucky Reptile Zoo sent the Saw-scaled viper antivenom to a Grand Rapids-area hospital after being contacted by a physician on Friday.
The bite came from an African bush viper, which the victim likely had as a pet.
Kristen Wiley with the Kentucky Reptile Zoo — located southeast of Lexington — told 24 Hour News 8 that the Saw-scale viper antivenom was the best option since there is no antivenom to treat African bush viper bites.
African bush viper venom destroys red blood cells, damages other tissues and can be potentially life threatening, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information.
The condition of the victim is unknown at this time.
The Kentucky Reptile Zoo produces venom for pharmaceutical research and antidotes for venomous snakebites, according to their website.