KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD) — Public safety officers say a meth lab explosion sparked the fire that damaged a Kalamazoo apartment Monday.
Officers were called to Northwind Apartments in the 3000 block of S. Burdick Street shortly after 9:30 a.m. Monday.
There, they found heavy smoke coming from a second floor apartment.
Officers tracked the fire to a bathroom, where an active meth lab was on fire. Crews quickly put out the flames, which were mostly contained to the bathroom.
The two tenants ran from the home before officers arrived.
While combing the apartment, public safety officers found tools to make meth, meth, and a handgun that was stolen from Kalamazoo Township.
Officers identified the two suspects, but as of Monday afternoon, no arrests had been made.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Kalamazoo Public Safety at 337-8994 or Silent Observer at 343-2100.