Smoke detector program credited for saving family

A family escaped a fire at a home on Franklin Street near Fuller in Grand Rapids. (Nov. 9, 2015)


GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Smoke detectors are being credited for saving a family from a Grand Rapids house fire.

The fire started in the basement of a home in the 1200 block of Franklin Street near Fuller SE just after 1:30 a.m. Monday.

Smoke detectors alerted the family and they were able to get out safely.

The house is part of the Grand Rapids Fire Department’s Residential Fire Safety Program where firefighters install smoke detectors.

A similar situation occurred last month at a home in the 400 block of Shirley Street NE. Authorities say five adults and several family pets were able to escape the home after a candle sparked a fire.

They were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms which had been installed just a few months prior through the Residential Safety Program.

Since 2013, the Grand Rapids Fire Department has been inside 4,500 homes and installed more than 28,000 smoke detectors.

Grand Rapids homeowners can set up an appointment for a home safety inspection by calling the city’s 311 service or 616.456.3000.

—–

Online:

GRFD Residential Safety Program

Comments are closed.