COLDWATER, Mich. (WOOD) — Police arrested two suspects in connection to installing skimming devices in gas pumps at a Coldwater gas station.
The Coldwater Police Department responded to a report of suspicious activity at a local gas station around 6 p.m. on Nov. 6. While they were investigating, police discovered two skimmers had been installed in the gas pumps.
Coldwater police and the FBI worked together to identify two suspects. Both suspects, who have ties to the Miami Florida area, were arrested in Indiana.
Credit card skimmers have been found at several gas stations in West Michigan over the past few months including Grand Rapids, Kentwood, Battle Creek, Byron Township, Albion and Dowagiac.
Here are some tips to protect yourself against “skimmers”:
- Go inside the store to process transactions.
- Select “credit” at the gas pumps to protect your PIN Number.
- Frequently monitor your bank statements and report and unauthorized charges to your bank and police department. Some thieves take out small amounts to avoid detection.
- Use ATM’s that are located in high traffic areas or indoors, ideally inside your bank.
- Get into the habit of using the same ATM so you can recognize changes to the machine.
- Inspect the ATM or Gas Pump for any signs of damage in the area where you insert your card.