Jury: Chicago man guilty of 3 Kzoo area robberies

Police release surveillance picture from armed robbery at Comerica Bank. (July 29, 2014, Courtesy Kalamazoo Co. Sheriff's Office)

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WOOD)— A Chicago man tied to three Kalamazoo area robberies will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.

After a two-week trial, a federal jury convicted 33-year-old Dominick Johnson of seven crimes, including three counts of armed bank robbery and three counts of brandishing a firearm during a crime.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s office, court testimony indicated Johnson served as the get-away driver during the May 29, 2014 robbery of PNC Bank in Galesburg; the July 29, 2014 robbery of Comerica Bank in Comstock Township; and the Jan. 8, 2015 robbery of Old National Bank in Ostemo Township.

Johnson’s half-brother, Nathan Benson, previously pleaded guilty for his role in the crimes. The U.S. Attorney General’s office said Benson was the gunman who threatened bank employees and forced them into the bank’s vault during two of the crimes.

Investigators said the pair also planned to rob three additional banks, but were foiled by authorities and a vehicle crash.

Johnson faces a mandatory minimum of 67 years in federal prison when he’s sentenced.

Comments are closed.