Ionia officers on gas leak: Crying child likely saved lives

IONIA, Mich. (WOOD) — Four children and two adults are in the hospital after poisonous gas filled their house as they slept.

Ionia Public Safety officers were called to a home on Hall Street just before 1 a.m. Thursday after a child fell out of bed and began crying. The adults realized everyone else in the home were feeling sick and called 911.

According to the department’s Facebook page, the officers’ gas meter detected carbon monoxide at a level of 400 parts per million; authorities said sustained exposure to the ordorless, colorless gas at levels over 150 parts per million can cause death.

Officers evacuated the family of six, which was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Officers ventilated the home and tracked the carbon monoxide to a malfunctioning furnace, which they turned off.

Authorities said there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

“If that child had not fallen out of bed and began crying, there is a great chance that not everyone would have survived,” the Ionia Department of Public Safety stated on Facebook.

Comments are closed.