EMMETT TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — One person had to be rescued and several families were displaced after a fire broke out at an apartment building near Battle Creek.
The fire started around 1 a.m. Tuesday at Lakeside Apartments and Townhomes in the 1100 block of E. Michigan Avenue in Emmett Township.
Firefighters on scene told 24 Hour News 8 everyone escaped without injury, but they did have to rescue one person trapped on the third floor.
Crews were able to get control of the fire about 40 minutes after they arrived on scene.
Emmett Township Public Safety Lt. Tony Geigle said it appears the fire was caused by cooking in one of the lower units. The resident tried to put it out the fire with a towel, but it spread quickly.
At least 12 apartments are a total loss. Lt. Geigle said they had recently purchased a new aerial firetruck and if they wouldn’t have had that, the entire building would’ve been destroyed.
The American Red Cross was brought in to help the displaced residents.
Lt. Geigle also said a bomb squad was called in after firefighters came across a hand grenade and ammunition. However, it turned out to be a practice grenade for someone in training.
24 Hour News 8’s Amanda Jarrett called 911 after the fire rekindled just before 7:30 a.m. Tuesday. Firefighters returned and put it out within minutes.