Suspect’s text after GR murder: ‘I’m so sorry’

Jermaine Cooper at a preliminary hearing on Feb. 3, 2016.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — About half an hour after city workers say they saw Melissa Moore chased down and shot to death on the streets of Grand Rapids’ northeast side, murder suspect Jermaine Cooper was sending a text to the victim’s son saying “I’m so sorry.”

Moore’s 11- and 15-year-old sons took the stand Wednesday afternoon during a preliminary hearing in Grand Rapids District Court, where they spoke about watching the couple fight over a cellphone the day before she was killed.

Undated courtesy photo of Melissa Moore.
Undated courtesy photo of Melissa Moore.

Cooper, 38, watched as his 11-year-old son matter-of-factly spoke about the night of Nov. 5, 2015, when Cooper allegedly accused Moore of blocking him on her phone and later declared that she did not love him.

“He was getting angry,” the sixth-grader said of his father.

The boy and his 15-year-old brother, who not related to Cooper, told the court about the gun that was kept in the Holland home the family shared.

In earlier testimony, city street sweepers said they saw Moore, 31, shot to death in the area of Knapp Street and Truxton Drive NE around 4:06 a.m. on Nov. 6.

Assistant Kent County Prosecutor Kellee Koncki showed Judge Michael Distel a text allegedly sent by Cooper to the 15 year-old at 4:46 a.m. that read “tell grandma and the family I’m sorry.” The text message included declarations of love and three crying emojis.

The text message Jermaine Cooper sent to his son on the morning of Nov. 6, 2015.
The text message Jermaine Cooper sent to his son on the morning of Nov. 6, 2015.

Cooper was arrested in December for Moore’s murder following a standoff in Detroit. He is charged with open murder.

Wednesday, one of the city workers testified that he saw a woman get out of a black vehicle and start running from a man who was chasing her.

“As she was coming towards me another shot rang out. I could see the guy chasing her as she was running toward my vehicle, I ran down toward my co-workers. Several more shots rang out, I looked down and she was laying in the street,” city worker Tracey Smith described.

Smith said he grabbed his rain gear from his vehicle and covered Moore up. He said another city worker started to pray for Moore and that she appeared to be trying to say something in her final moments.

Cooper showed little emotion as the boys testified and the children did not make eye contact with the defendant. Cooper asked the judge to lift the “no contact” order with his children, but Distel left it in place.

The hearing will likely continue next week with testimony from police and the medical examiner regarding Moore’s autopsy.

Comments are closed.