ANN ARBOR, Mich. (WOOD) — The man dubbed the No. 1 recruit in the nation is heading to the University of Michigan.
Rashan Gary made the announcement on ESPN just after 1 p.m. Wednesday.
The defensive tackle, who hails from Paramus Catholic High School in New Jersey, was ranked the top overall prospect by all four major recruiting services.
The nation’s top kicker from Rockford High School is also joining the Wolverines.
Quinn Nordin announced plans to attend the University of Michigan late Wednesday morning.
Friends, family and cameras filled his family’s Belmont home for the National Signing Day announcement.
“Without further ado, I’m committing to the University of Michigan,” Nordin said.
Cheers erupted as he then placed a U of M baseball cap on his head.
Nordin announced he was abandoning prior plans to attend Penn State last week.
“I believe the best path for my future and career no longer exists at Penn State,” stated a tweet from Nordin’s account Thursday. “Therefore I am decommiting and will be taking my official visit to USC this weekend.”
Despite the trip he mentioned to USC, Nordin chose Michigan.
Nordin decomitted from Penn State less than two weeks after meeting with University of Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh at his home in Belmont. A neighbor of Nordin’s razzed Harbaugh, posting a welcome sign with the final score of the Michigan-Michigan State game.
Dozens of other players announced their post-high school plans during National Signing Day. More than 70 players from 24 schools showed up for ESPN 96.1‘s signing day event at Celebration Cinema North in Grand Rapids.
The West Michigan schools that players plan to intend include:
- Dom Shermeta (LB – Mona Shores)
- Nolan Meekhof (RB- Grandville)
- Brenden Bott (DT – Kenowa Hills)
- Khari Wilcox-Lewis (TE- Muskegon)
- Terrion Hill-Mckay (LB- Muskegon)
- Christian Martinez (QB – Muskegon Catholic Central)
- Jake Tumele (OT – Orchard View)
- Michael Williams (RB – Wyoming)
FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY
- Myles Jones (WR- GR Christian)
- Jackson Dieterle (K- Jenison)
- Jake Boonstra (OL – Kenowa Hills)
- Karson Murley (OG – Lowell)
- Keyante Carpenter (DB – Muskegon)
- Juanye Johnson (OT – Muskegon)
- James Wyrick (RB – Ottawa Hills)
GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY
- Keegan Golder (OT – Forest Hills Eastern)
- Evan McCauley (OT- Forest Hills Northern)
- Ted Russo (LB- GR Catholic Central)
- Tyler Bradfield (S – Rockford)
- Jake Sypniewski (WR – Forest Hills Eastern)
- Jared Pittman (RB – Muskegon)
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY
- Khylin Barton (WR – Zeeland East) *Preferred walk-on
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
- Carl Myers (OT – West Catholic) *Preferred walk-on
- Quinn Nordin (K – Rockford)
WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY
- Hunter Broersma (WR – Mona Shores)
- Mark Brooks (OL – Portland)
- Darece Roberson (WR – Mona Shores)
Western Michigan Broncos head coach P.J. Fleck got another solid recruiting class, ranked No. 47 in the nation by Scout.com and ranked No. 1 in the MAC.