MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, Mich. (WOOD) — Freshman and junior varsity boys basketball games between Grand Rapids Union and Muskegon Heights high schools have been canceled in the wake of a shooting following a varsity basketball game last week.
A Grand Rapids Public Schools spokesman John Helmhold told 24 Hour News 8 via email that the districts agreed it would be best to cancel the games, which were set for Monday in Muskegon Heights, in light of the shooting. However, he said, there was no new evidence or threats that led to the district’s concerns.
Helmholdt also sent out a statement, which read:
“Working closely with our colleagues in Muskegon Heights, we mutually agreed that it is in the best interest of our students and families to cancel tonight’s games while the community is still heeling from last week’s incident.”
The shooting happened on Feb. 9 outside Muskegon Heights High School following a basketball game between Muskegon Heights and Grand Rapids Ottawa Hills. Four people were shot, one of them the suspect, who was shot by a sheriff’s deputy. Everyone was treated and soon released from the hospital.
Because the games are non-conference games, Helmholdt said they would not be rescheduled.
**Editor’s Note: It was originally reported that the games were set for Tuesday in Muskegon Heights.